Canelo Alvarez is a dominant boxer who has risen to the top of the boxing world over the last few years. The pugilist, who hails from Guadalajara, Mexico was rated as the best pound for pound boxer in the world by the Ring Magazine. Over his career, he has only lost once and won 56 fights (38 by knockout). He is currently the unified super middleweight champion. He holds the WBA, WBO, WBC and Ring Magazine titles currently. Let’s find out more about this incredible boxer.
Canelo Alvarez: Things to Know
When did Canelo Alvarez make his professional debut?
Guadalajara native Saúl Canelo Alvarez made his professional debut on October 29, 2005 against Abraham González, whom he defeated by knockout in the fourth round. From there he began his march to the top of the boxing world.
Which was the first major fight of Canelo Alvarez?
There is no doubt that Alvarez’s first major trial by fire came on May 4, 2012 when Canelo faced Shane Mosley, albeit in decline and at the end of his career. But Canelo came out ahead by beating the experienced American fighter by unanimous decision.
What happened when Canelo Alvarez faced Floyd Mayweather Jr.?
Canelo Álvarez faced Floyd Mayweather Jr. in a lawsuit for the WBC / WBA belts at 154 pounds at MGM Grand Garden Arena on September 14, 2013. By unanimous decision, ‘Money’ maintained his undefeated streak, though the young Mexican gave him a good fight.
What happened in the Alvarez vs Cotto bout?
Canelo Alvarez faced Puerto Rican Miguel Cotto in a middleweight fight at Mandalay Bay Events Center on November 21, 2015. The Mexican defeated the Puerto Rican by sending him to retirement in a memorable fight.
Which was Canelo Alvarez’s first major title defence?
Canelo Alvarez put the middleweight belt at stake against the British of Pakistani origin Amir Khan whom he defeated by a brutal knockout in the sixth round to defend his title in the division and confirm himself as part of the elite in world boxing.
What happened against JCC Jr.?
After being seriously criticized and bullied, Canelo Álvarez accepted the bout against an inconsistent Julio César Chávez Jr. in a fight that powerfully captured the attention of the Mexican market. On May 5, 2017 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, Canelo prevailed in 12 rounds by unanimous decision.
What was the controversy surrounding Canelo Alvarez’s fight against GGG?
On September 16, 2017, Gennady Golovkin (GGG) and Canelo Alvarez celebrated in unison after a fight that went to the max at T-Mobile Arena. The verdict gave a draw that left many unsatisfied. ESPN boxing analyst Teddy Atlas heavily criticised the decision and believed that GGG deserved to win the fight and Canelo Alvarez was saved by the judges because of “money issues”. It led to a high stakes second fight in Las Vegas which generated a lot of money. Alvarez won that fight by unanimous decision.
Why was Canelo Alvarez suspended?
On April 18, 2018, the Nevada Stadium Athletic Commission decided to suspend Canelo Álvarez for 6 months, preventing his rematch, scheduled for May 5 of that year, to be postponed because clenbuterol, a prohibited substance, was found in Alvarez’s blood. This opened the door to slander and sayings from Gennady Golovkin that heated up the rematch more than necessary.
After the insults proffered from one corner to the other, Canelo Alvarez measured Gennady Golovkin on September 15, 2018, resulting in an undisputed victory for Canelo by unanimous decision, dethroning the Kazakh from the WBC, IBO and the WBA titles. It was definitely the biggest victory of Alvarez’s career.
How big is Canelo Alvarez’s latest DAZN deal?
On October 17, 2018, Canelo Alvarez signed a contract for 365 million dollars with the DAZN platform for five years in which he would have 11 matches. This is one of the most lucrative contracts in boxing and sports history.
Canelo Alvarez: Lesser Known Facts
- He traveled to Guadalajara after beating Callum Smith: After defeating Callum Smith at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas, the Mexican flew the following hours in a private plane to Guadalajara, Jalisco. Upon arrival, he played on the golf course in his hometown. The plan was shared with Rodolfo Vargas and Rafa Ayala.
- He loves Netflix: Canelo also shared that in the face of the pandemic, during 2020 he saw Netflix and practically saw all the content.
- He loves golf: Canelo Alvarez has found in golf a discipline and hobby that makes it his second favorite activity after boxing. He famously played golf with NBA superstar Steph Curry recently.
- The other sports he likes: In addition to boxing and golf, Canelo said that he likes to watch Major League Baseball, especially the World Series. He is a big fan of the NBA as well.
- He was in an extreme quarantine: Because of covid-19, Canelo was practically a month without contact with people. He only met his team and stayed away from people so that he doesn’t contract the virus.
- He loves eating: He confessed that he likes tacos, but that at one point in his career he struggled with his weight. Now he stays on a diet and limits himself to eating only what is stipulated.
- After a weigh-in, look for strength: He stressed that for some fights, his recovery after a weigh-in, is eating certain foods that give him strength and not so much that they give him more weight.
- He thoroughly studies his rivals: He stressed that 24 hours before their fights, together with Eddy Reynoso they have different moments in which they meet and study the action plan and the strategies they will have.
- Focused on triumph: Canelo Alvarez has made a promise to himself. “At the level I’m at, I can’t say to myself ‘oh I had a bad night’, but if they beat me, the rival is better than me.”
- Canelo Alvarez has over 10 million followers on Instagram.